Tuesday, March 3, 2015

{ Hibernating with PIE }

We are not catching a break here in Michigan when it comes to snow and cold. It's been a really sunny winter and for that I am thankful because seeing the sun always makes getting through the winter easier but its been SO cold here, like negative numbers cold so it makes it hard to get out and enjoy the snow as much especially with little ones. Here's a quick glimpse out our back door!



So we've been finding lots of activities to do in the house this winter and one of my favorite things to do with the kids is bake! They love to be my helpers and I love the way it makes the house smell so yummy. The kids requested to make apple pie last week and since then we've made it twice! I wanted to share this recipe with you because it's so easy and so delicious, according to my hubby and kids because I'm not a pie fan. Crazy I know! But believe me they RAVE about this pie, beg for it, and consume the whole thing in one night ha!

It's a recipe I got from my mom, she's made this pie for years. She calls it Swedish apple pie. I have no idea why it's called that, maybe because it doesn't have a typical crust like other pies, maybe that's the Swedish way of making pie...if you are a facts person and want to share please comment below, or maybe my mom was just trying to give it a unique name, who knows?! ha!


Start with a pie pan and load it up with peeled and sliced apples. 
Once the pan is full of apples, sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar.


Then, mix together the batter. This is the step the kids love, STIRRING! All that's left to do is pour the batter over the apples. 




That batter makes a crust like/cake like topping for the apples. The longest part of the whole process is the cook time!


One of my kids likes his pie topped with whipped cream but the rest of my crew eats it just like it is and they devour it! 




Here's the recipe if you are interested

Swedish Apple Pie

6-10 apples (depending on the size of your pie dish)
1/2 C. sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon

Peel and slice the apples to fill the pie dish. Mix the sugar and cinnamon together and sprinkle over the apples. 

Sticky batter:
2/3 C. sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1 C. flour
2/3 C. melted butter
1 beaten egg

Mix all together and pour on top of the apples. 
Bake 50-60 minutes @ 350 degrees.

 Hope you enjoy this pie as much as my family does! What are you guys doing at home to ride out the cold winter weather? I get so anxious for warmer weather...soon, soon it will be here! 


No comments:

Post a Comment